myPlates Product Terms and Conditions
1. Privacy and Information
1.1. Privacy Statement & Your Rights
- Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) is collecting your personal
information in connection with your application for Special Number Plates and
RMS may retain and use it:
- to process your application for Special Number Plates in accordance with
the NSW road transport legislation, including the Road Transport Act 2013 and
the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 (and all subordinate, amending,
consolidating or replacing legislation);
- for driver licensing, motor vehicle, road transport or road safety
- to facilitate the administration of Your Special Number Plates and for
use in the operation of RMS's Special Number Plate business.
- You are required to provide your personal information under road transport
legislation and RMS may refuse your application if you do not provide it.
- RMS may disclose your personal information to other driver licensing and
vehicle registration agencies, to assess your application or verify the
information you provide, and for inquiries about motor accidents. RMS may also
disclose it to confirm compulsory insurance is current, to anyone proposing to
acquire an interest in your vehicle, in respect of inquiries relating to stolen
or abandoned vehicles, or to any joint Registered Operator of your vehicle.
- RMS may disclose your personal information to anyone appointed to manage
RMS's Special Number Plate business (Concessionaire) (which as at the date of
these Terms and Conditions is Plate Marketing Pty Ltd) to allow the
Concessionaire to manage the Special Number Plate business.
- If you choose Direct Delivery, RMS may disclose your personal
information to its manufacturing and distribution contractors to facilitate
- If you choose Direct Delivery, you must provide RMS with your email
address and mobile phone number so RMS's courier can contact you to effect
- If you are an Annual Fee Paying Customer, RMS or its Concessionaire may
communicate special number plate marketing and customer service information
unless you elect to opt-out by going to myplates.com.au/unsubscribe
- Your personal information will be held by RMS at 20-44 Ennis Road Milsons Point, NSW 2061 and generally you can contact RMS or visit www.myrta.com to
access or correct it.
1.2. Your Warranty About Information You Provide
- By submitting your personal information, you warrant that it is true and
complete. If you are applying for Special Number Plates for someone else (the
recipient), you also warrant that the recipient has authorised RMS's collection
of the recipient's personal information from you, or you have no reason to
believe the Individual would object to his/her information being supplied and
that the information about the recipient is accurate, up-to-date and complete.
2.1. Fees payable
- Special Number Plate fees are set out in the relevant pages of the
myPlates website. You may obtain a copy of Special Number Plates fee schedules
from a Registry. Special number plate fees may change from time to time without
- You must pay any fees applicable to Your Special Number Plates to RMS.
- RMS may, from time to time, reduce the Special Number Plate fees, or
provide any other promotional offers in relation to Special Number Plates. RMS
may withdraw, cancel, vary or withdraw the reduced fees and other promotional
offers at any time and without giving notice.
- All fees are quoted in Australian dollars. Unless stated otherwise, fees
are inclusive of GST.
- RMS will refund the full order fee paid by you provided you cancel your
order on the same day the order fee was paid.
- Additionally, if you have chosen Direct Delivery, RMS will also refund
any Annual Fee you have paid if you cancel your order before the Special Number
Plates are shipped.
- RMS will not refund any fees for Special Number Plates paid by you
including any order fees or any Annual Fee in any other circumstances.
3.1. Reserving and ordering Special Number Plates
- To order Special Number Plates and choose the Content you must place an
order for the plate and pay the applicable order fee. Any applicable Annual
Fees will be payable upon collection of the plate or, if you choose Direct
Delivery, at the time you place the order.
- To order a Special Number Plate with Standard Content (ie without
choosing the Content) you must place an order for the plate pay the applicable
- Payments for orders can be made using any payment method approved by RMS
from time to time.
- RMS has absolute discretion to reject any proposed Special Number Plate
order or renewal at any point in time.
3.2. Collecting Special Number Plates from a Registry
applies where you have ordered Special Number Plates to be collected from a Registry:
- A notice will be sent to the address specified on your order when Your
Special Number Plates are available for collection. Within 28 days from the
date of the RMS's notice, you must pay all applicable fees and either:
- Collect the Special Number Plates; or
- Request RMS to place the Special Number Plates in storage.
- When collecting Your Special Number Plates you must hand over any old
- Driver Licence; or
- a copy of the RMS letter advising that the plates are ready for
- You may authorise another person to collect Your Special Number Plates
for you by providing them with a written authority signed by you and a copy of
RMS's collection letter.
- If you do not pay the applicable fees within 28 days of the RMS's
notice, the plates may either be destroyed or made available to another
customer. If you then wish to reapply for the same Special Number Plate Content
or style (if still available) or an alternative Special Number Plate Content or
style, you will have to place a new order and pay applicable fees.
3.3. Direct Delivery of Special Number Plates
This clause applies where you have ordered Special Number Plates to be delivered
directly to you (Direct Delivery conditions do not apply to Numeral Only number plates).
- The Courier will attempt to deliver the Special Number Plates to you
personally at your nominated address.
- You must show one of the following forms of proof of identity to the
Courier: Passport, Australian Driver Licence or Learners Permit, NSW Firearms
Licence or KEYPASS.
- You will be required sign for receipt of the Special Number Plates.
- If the Courier experiences difficulty in completing a delivery to you,
the Courier will deliver Your Special Number Plates to a Postal facility near
your delivery address. The Courier will leave you a calling card identifying
the Postal Facility from where you can collect Your Special Number Plates. If
you do not collect Your Special Number Plates from the Postal facility within
10 working days, the Courier will return Your Special Number Plates to the
- You must return your old plates to a Postal Facility within 7 days of
receiving Your Special Plates and obtain a receipt otherwise RMS may impose
sanctions including suspension or cancellation of your vehicle registration.
- Direct Delivery can only be made to addresses within NSW.
- Direct Delivery cannot be made to a small number of rural postcodes.
- If you reschedule or redirect your Direct Delivery, you must do so by
direct contact with the Courier either by telephone or their website. Any costs
associated with rescheduling or redirecting are paid by you directly to the
- You may only redirect your Direct Delivery to a NSW address within 14
working days from the first delivery appointment date. There are a small number
of rural addresses for which Direct Delivery is not available and if you
redirect to one of these rural addresses you will be contacted and asked to
redirect or cancel your Direct Delivery.
- You may request to reschedule multiple times as long as the requested
date is within 14 working days from the original delivery appointment date.
- RMS's Courier will endeavour to deliver Your Special Number Plates to
you on the day and time notified but this cannot be guaranteed.
3.4. Affixing Your Special Number Plates
- You must affix Your Special Number Plates to the vehicle nominated in
your application before operating the vehicle and in any case within 24 hours.
- If Your Special Number Plates will replace existing plates with
different content, RMS will provide you with a replacement registration
certificate when you collect Your Special Number Plates or by mail in the case
of Direct Delivery. This does not apply if Your Special Number Plates are in
storage with RMS.
3.5.Your SNP Rights
- Your Special Number Plates always remain the property of RMS and, other
than as set out in these Terms and Conditions, you obtain no proprietary or
other rights to Your Special Number Plates or the Content displayed on Your
Special Number Plates.
- Once RMS has approved your application and you have paid all applicable
fees for Your Special Number Plates, subject to these Terms and Conditions, you
are granted a right to either:
- have Your Special Number Plates allocated to a vehicle registered in
your name in NSW, in which case you will be provided with Your Special Number
Plates in order for you to affix them to that registered vehicle; or
- have Your Special Number Plates placed in storage at a Registry at your
- RMS or the Concessionaire may use Your Special Number Plates in
promotional material without notifying you.
- You will lose your SNP Rights if any of the following occur, provided
that RMS will allow you a grace period of 3 months before your SNP Rights are
lost in the scenarios in paragraphs (iv) – (vii):
- RMS recalls Your Special Number Plates;
- The registration of the vehicle to which Your Special Number Plates have
been allocated is cancelled due to expiry of registration;
- You transfer your SNP Rights in accordance with these Terms and
- You surrender Your Special Number Plates to RMS (or equivalent vehicle
registration authority in another Australian state or territory);
- The registration of the vehicle to which Your Special Number Plates have
been allocated is cancelled for reasons other than expiry of registration;
- You register the vehicle for which Your Special Number Plates have been
allocated in another state or territory;
- Where Your Special Number Plates are kept in storage with RMS and you
fail to renew the storage; or
- (unless you have made arrangements with RMS to place Your Special Number
Plates in storage with RMS) if you are not the registered operator of the
relevant vehicle for which Your Special Number Plates have been allocated (for
example you sell your vehicle before you attach Your Special Number Plates).
- If you lose your SNP Rights but wish to have identical Special Number
Plates allocated to your registered vehicle, then you must place a new order
for them. RMS cannot guarantee that identical plates will be available to
- RMS may issue a written recall notice requiring you to surrender Your
Special Number Plates to RMS:
- if an error has been made when issuing Your Special Number Plate.
- if RMS, in its absolute discretion:
- a) deems Your Special Number Plate Content to be unsuitable or offensive;
- b) decides that the style or design of Your Special Number Plate must be
- c) considers that the content of Your Special Number Plate or your use of
them may constitute a breach of the intellectual property rights of any other
person (eg a breach of a trade mark) or a breach of any law (eg a law
concerning conduct which is likely to mislead or deceive); or
- for any other reason.
- You must return Your Special Number Plates to RMS within 14 days of:
- losing your SNP Rights; or
- receiving a written recall notice from RMS.
- Failure to return Your Special Number Plates as required by RMS may
constitute an offence, and result in cancellation of the registration of the
vehicle to which they are allocated.
- Notwithstanding anything in these Terms and Conditions, the use of an
unregistered vehicle on a road may constitute an offence.
3.6. Transfer and Exchange of Special Number Plates
- Your Special Number Plates always remain the property of RMS and other
than as set out in sub-paragraph (b) or (c) below, you cannot transfer your SNP
Rights or Your Special Number Plates.
- Your Special Number Plates always remain the property of RMS and
generally are not freely transferable. However, RMS may allow you to transfer
your SNP Rights to another Individual or Organisation, or exchange them with
another vehicle registered in your name, in accordance with RMS's transfer and
exchange policy and on payment of the applicable transfer fees.
- Upon the transfer of Your Special Number Plates, you will lose all your
SNP Rights to those Special Number Plates.
3.7. Storing Special Number Plates independent of vehicle registration
- At all times Your Special Number Plates must be either
- affixed to the registered vehicle to which the Special Number Plates
have been allocated, or
- placed in storage with RMS.
- If Your Special Number Plates are affixed to a vehicle whose
registration expires, you must either renew the vehicle's registration or,
within 3 months, place the plates in storage at RMS, otherwise you will lose
your SNP Rights and be required to surrender the plates to RMS.
- When placing Your Special Number Plates in storage, you will need to
provide the required details and pay the appropriate storage and annual lease
- You can have the Special Number Plates storage moved to another Registry
on payment of applicable fees.
- Your Special Number Plates can be kept in storage so long as you pay any
applicable storage fees in advance.
- You can pay storage fees for up to five years in advance. You can remove
the Special Number Plates from storage only where they have been allocated by
RMS to a vehicle registered in your name in NSW for the purpose of you affixing
them to that vehicle. You will be entitled to a refund for annual storage fees
you have paid in advance. Refunds of storage fees are granted on the number of
whole years remaining in the storage period and are not pro-rated.
- If you do not renew your storage within 3 months of the due date then,
unless you affix them to an allocated vehicle, Your Special Number Plates will
be automatically surrendered to RMS and will be made available to another
3.8. Damaged, lost, stolen or destroyed Special Number Plates
- If one or both of Your Special Number Plates are damaged you must, as
soon as practicable surrender the Special Number Plate(s) to RMS and, unless
RMS otherwise approves, any other matching/corresponding plate. Failure to do
so may constitute an offence.
- If one or both of Your Special Number Plates is lost, stolen or
destroyed you must, as soon as practicable:
- Report the loss to the Police.
- Notify RMS in writing of the loss, theft or destruction.
- Deliver any matching/corresponding Special Number Plate to RMS. Failure
to do so may constitute an offence.
3.9. Availability, restyling and replacement
- RMS does not guarantee that any particular style of Special Number Plate
or Content will be available at any time.
- RMS may cease production of a particular style and/or design of Special
Number Plate at any time without notice.
- If Your Special Number Plates are damaged, you can apply for the plates
to be replaced if you pay the applicable replacement fee and surrender both
original plates to RMS. RMS cannot guarantee that identical plates will be
available to re-order.
- RMS does not permit stolen or lost Special Number Plates to be replaced
with the same Content, as lost and stolen plates are recorded on police records
and the use of replacement plates triggers false police alerts. If any of Your
Special Number Plates are lost or stolen, you must apply for alternative
- RMS warrants Your Special Number Plates against defects for 3 years
after issue (excluding damage or misuse).
3.10. Warranty & Indemnity By You
- RMS does not check whether the content you choose may infringe any
intellectual property rights or any law.
- You warrant to RMS that the content you choose does not infringe the
intellectual property rights of any person and that you will not use Your
Special Number Plates in any way that may infringe any law and you indemnify
RMS in respect of any breach of these warranties.
- Except as otherwise expressly stated in these Terms and Conditions, and
to the extent permitted by law, RMS and any Concessionaire are not liable for
any loss or damage of any kind however caused (including, but not limited to,
where it is caused by the negligence of RMS or the Concessionaire) which is
suffered or incurred by you in connection with these Terms and Conditions, the
issue of Special Number Plates, your use of the myplates.com.au website
(including the use of a credit card or other debit device) or any linked
website, the non-availability of myPlates services for any reason, the
rejection or failure to receive your application for the issue of Special
Number Plates, or any act or omission of RMS or any Concessionaire or the
provision of inaccurate, incomplete or incorrect information by you.
- To the extent that any legislation implies a condition or warranty that
cannot be excluded but can be limited, clause 3.9 (a) does not apply to that
liability and the liability of RMS and any Concessionaire for any breach of
that condition or warranty is limited to RMS or any Concessionaire doing any
one or more of the following (at its election):
- Replacing the goods or supplying equivalent goods. ii. Repairing the
- Paying the cost of replacing the goods or of acquiring equivalent goods.
- Paying the cost of having the goods repaired.
- RMS and any Concessionaire make no representations or warranties in relation
to information available on the RMS websites or the myplates.com.au website
(the "Websites") including without limitation that:
- the information on these Websites is complete or correct;
- the Websites will be continuously available or free from any delay in
operation or transmission, virus, communications failure, internet access
difficulties or malfunction in hardware or software; or
- RMS or any Concessionaire endorse any internet site linked to the
Websites or any third party products or services referred to on the Websites.
- If you provide RMS or any Concessionaire with information (such as text,
photos or images) when using the Websites you warrant that you are entitled to
provide and license the information and you license RMS and any Concessionaire
to use, reproduce, modify and publish the information for the purposes outlined
in these Special Number Plates Terms and Conditions.
- The information on the Websites is subject to change without notice.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions is intended to exclude, restrict
or modify any rights you may have under any legislation which may not be
excluded, restricted or modified by agreement.
- You represent and warrant that you have full power to enter into and
perform your obligations under these Terms and Conditions.
- You may not assign or otherwise transfer your rights under these Terms
and Conditions to any other person except as expressly provided for in these
Terms and Conditions.
- In exercising your rights under these Terms and Conditions, you must at
all times, comply with all applicable laws.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions is intended to limit or qualify
your rights or obligations under the Road Transport Act 2013 or the Road
Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007. Failure to comply with your
obligations under the Road Transport Act 2013 or the Road Transport (Vehicle
Registration) Regulation 2007 may constitute an offence.
- If any section or part thereof of these Terms and Conditions is found to
be void, unenforceable or invalid, then it is severed leaving the remainder in
full force and effect, provided that the severance has not altered the basic
nature of these Terms and Conditions.
- These Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of the State of New
South Wales, Australia.
- A reference to any legislation includes a variation, consolidation or
replacement and a reference to any statute includes all regulations and
instruments under it.
- RMS may at any time vary these Terms and Conditions by publishing the
varied Terms and Conditions on the Websites. You accept that by doing this, RMS
has provided you with sufficient notice of the variation. RMS is under no other
obligation to notify you of any variation to these Terms and Conditions.
Annual fees charged by RMS in respect of certain types of Special Number
Paying Customer: A Special Number Plate customer who pays Annual Fees for
their Special Number Plates.
Refers to the combination of characters, separators, and layout on a number plate.
It does not refer to the Style of the plate or the Syntax of the plate.
In the case of Direct Delivery this refers to the person who attempts to
delivery Your Special Number Plates to you.
Delivery: Refers to the delivery of Your Special Number Plates to your
nominated address instead of you collecting them from a Registry.
Plates: General Issue Plates are the default standard number plates issued
by RMS where neither the Content nor style are chosen by the customer (presently
these are issued in yellow and black).
and "for example" are not words of limitation.
Means a natural, living person.
Means the photo ID card known as KEYPASS (see www.keypass.com.au)
RMS's plate manufacturer.
Plates: Numeral-only Plates are plates where the Content comprises one to
six numbers only.
Any entity other than an Individual.
Plates: Personalised Plates are plates where the Content is selected by the
customer from a defined Syntax within a certain range set by RMS.
Plus Plates: Personalised Plus Plates are plates where the Content selected
is by the customer and is between one and six characters (one and five
characters for motorcycles). There must be at least one letter, where the
letter is not I or O.
Facility: Means an Australia Post post office or business centre.
Redirect relates to change to the original address that has been booked for the
direct delivery Special Number Plates order.
Reschedule relates to a change to the original date that has been booked for
the direct delivery Special Number Plates order.
Operator: An Individual or Organisation recorded by RMS as being
responsible for the vehicle.
Means an RMS motor registry or such other premises offering RMS motor registry
services (eg a Service NSW Centre).
SNP Rights are the rights set out in clause 3.5 of these Terms and Conditions.
Content Plates: SNP Standard Content Plates are plates with either;
- Content automatically generated by RMS, that are not General Issue plates, or
- Plates which were issued historically with Content chosen by the customer
but which do not attract Annual Fees (e.g. Traditional Black plates,
Centenary of Federation plates)
Number Plates: Special Number Plates are number plates that RMS has
determined should be treated as a Special Number Plate. Special Number Plates
include SNP Standard Content Plates, Personalised Plates, Personalised Plus
Plates and Numeral Only Plates.
Syntax: Refers to the rules defining the format of Content, being the
available combinations of letters and numbers, the spatial layout and the
separators between characters.
Number Plates: Special Number Plates issued by RMS to you.
"Issued" has the meaning in section 66 of the Road Transport Act